this post is part of Bluebird Baby’s “A Year of Choice”
It’s the Friday before Valentine’s Day and our first annual Cupcake Dress Up Valentine’s Day party.
Here’s what I would love to do today:
grab a cup of coffee and
drive out to the countryside to photograph old buildings and signs
and then, browse mom & pop shops in an old town
looking here and there, gathering ideas for my home
and then driving home, thinking about how I would love to decorate this or that.
After this little excursion, I would nap and nap and nap and nap
soaking up all the sleep my body’s missed out on through 2 pregnancies, 2 newborns, and 2 children who wake up and sneak into our bed at night.
When I woke up from my nap, I would go for an afternoon walk,
the warm light of the magic hour pouring through the trees,
and I would beg my children to let me photograph them.
Once inside, I would pour a glass of wine and eat dark chocolate,
I’d light a scented candle and
run a bath
and I would just relax until it was time to cuddle in bed with my kids, my husband, and Toby.
Of course, as much as I would love to have a day to myself, a day where I would do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted,
I have things that I have to do:
1. Bake another batch of cupcakes, bringing the grand total of cupcakes to 68.
2. Drive 30 minutes to the vet’s office to pick up 32 lbs. of special formula weight loss cat food.
3. Set up the craft table for 16 munchkins and their parents. They’re going to decorate Valentine’s and pick up a packet of Valentine’s coloring sheets.
4. Set up our dining room table as a cupcake decorating station. Oh my goodness, I hope this goes well.
5. Set up our rec room with dress up supplies and music for freeze dance.
6. Add the finishing touches. Decorate where I need to, clean the floors, make gift bags full of candy, and review the party rules with Annabelle: play downstairs, play downstairs, play downstairs. Did I ever share how we hosted one party and I found some 5 children upstairs in my bedroom jumping on my bed? Cute, yes. Annoying, yes.
So that’s my Friday. I’m hoping I can mix the two days together: what I’d love to do and what I have to do.
Oh, and there’s something else, something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now.
Give you a little tour of our home. We’ve been moving things around, adding new pieces here and there, and getting our home to be how we want it. We’ve been here 3 years now, and honestly, I am just starting to enjoy every space in our home.
our new dining room! We “fit” at this table and our friends fit too. Yay!
our “happy valentine’s day” hearth
the kid’s space in our living room
Annabelle and Levi’s kid mudroom area
the “grown-up” mudroom area (we actually don’t have a real mudroom)
the stairwell where I’ve hung new pictures of my kiddos. getting the frames like this was not easy.
Annabelle and Levi, because they’re cute and wanted to be in every photo of our house
Levi’s bed. My plan is working! Yay! He’s sleeping there.
Annabelle’s girly girl room. I helped her clean it up for this photograph, :-)
our basement; I finally like it. I love hanging out down here. Oh, and this is where I set up my studio too.
our new “tree” — Annabelle and I put this together
Well, I hope you enjoyed my little tour of our home. Now to get started on the day. Did I mention I’ve been up since 4:30 a.m.? Ugh, I need another cup of coffee.
Have a great weekend and I’ll see you next week, :-)
a very tired Jessica