Days of You and Me: Day 13, Our Jammin’ Banging Wall

by Green Mamma on July 15, 2009

in Days of You and Me,Gardening,Kids and Art,Parenting,Photography

When I picked up Amanda Soule’s The Creative Family, I remember falling in love when I read about her children’s banging wall.   I told my husband, “We should do this!”  He smiled, said he thought it’d be fun, but then told me that our neighbors might not think our banging wall was such a thrill.  A few weeks later though, when the “banging wall” card was pulled, it was time for Annabelle and me to head out to the thrift shop to buy old pots and pans.  Again, I told him what we planned to do, and this time he didn’t argue and even seemed a bit excited about it.  Annabelle and I spent close to 2 hours at the thrift shop selecting our music makers; mostly I let Annabelle use a metal beater to try out the sounds of things while I chit chatted with other thrifters.  What a great outing.

Once home, Annabelle and I started jammin’ in the back yard, setting up our wall’s layout, and then waited for my husband to return home from a long bike ride.  Together we hung up our pots and pans and gave our banging wall its premier show . . . and so far, none of the neighbors have complained . . .

Our banging wall series is (appropriately) narrated with the lyrics from Bob Marley’s “Jammin’”

Ooh, yeah! All right!

We’re jammin’

And I hope you like jammin’, too

Ain’t no rules, ain’t no vow, we can do it anyhow:
I’n'I will see you through

Jammin’ till the jam is through

We’re jammin’ -
To think that jammin’ was a thing of the past

We’re jammin’,
And I hope this jam is gonna last.

We’re jammin’ (jammin’, jammin’, jammin’)
And we’re jammin’ in the name of the Lord;
We’re jammin’ (jammin’, jammin’, jammin’),
We’re jammin’ right straight from Yah.

Yeah, we’re – we’re jammin’ (wotcha-wa),
Wotcha-wa-wa-wa, we’re jammin’ (wotcha-wa),

Jam’s about my pride and truth I cannot hide
To keep you satisfied.

True love that now exist is the love I can’t resist,
So jam by my side.

We’re Jammin’ (jammin’, jammin’, jammin’), yeah-eah-eah!

We’re jammin’, we’re jammin’, we’re jammin’, we’re jammin’;
Hope you like jammin’, too.

Google ReaderFacebookShare

{ 8 comments }

tali buchler August 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm

i have read The Creative Family as well, and this is one of the projects that left the biggest impression. i have started looking for a spot (needs to be away from the house due to neighbors…)

Someday Crafts August 3, 2009 at 9:51 am

My kids would love this. My neighbors wouldn’t. I think I will find a strategic little place to make one of these. Featured on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

sunnymama July 16, 2009 at 6:24 pm

That is so fantastic! I have to make one of these :)

Amber July 15, 2009 at 3:15 pm

That looks like TOO MUCH FUN. I think even my 11-month-old could get in on this one. Great idea!

‘Creative Family’ is next on my book list. I simply can’t wait to read it.

Cloudhands July 15, 2009 at 1:28 pm

What fun. I expect grownups when visiting will play a tune or two. We don’t have the endurance of a child for continuing to bang and bash but I think we enjoy having a go at it for a bit. At least I know I would.
Annabelle sure looks engrossed and having fun.

abbie July 15, 2009 at 10:25 am

Haha! I was just going to comment that my mom loves Bob Marley but I see she beat me to it! Looks like you guys had a blast!

Ruth July 15, 2009 at 8:47 am

Oh, I do LOVE jammin’ . . . did you know that Bob Marley is one of my all-time favorites?

The jammin’ is only better because of Annabelle! What incredible shots and what an incredible idea. How nice that it’s summertime and she can JAM outside! Who knows, the neighbors may even join in!

You are creating wonderful memories with your dear daughter; how she will enjoy these photo essays when she’s older, looking back on her special days with you as “the two of us!”

Janice July 15, 2009 at 8:08 am

I’ve been lurking on your site for a while and love your ideas, but this is GREAT, I just love it! Can’t wait to do it with my daughter (she’s only 10 months old…)

Previous post: